Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Going Forward

Now that the second "debate" is over and done with one thing is clear: McCain has a lot of ground to make up.

We've seen in recent days just exactly how he plans to make up that ground. He and Palin and his surrogates will continue to whip the base into a frothy-mouthed mob that will continue to scream ridiculous asides at rallies and bash the media. The question is whether or not someone will physically bash the media before it's all said and done.

The McCain/Palin supporters are disappointed and desperate. Take this emailer at the National Review Online as an example:

"Well I have gone outside and pulled up my Mcain/Palin sign. This election is over. I will vote for Mcain but I know that come Nov. 5 Obama will be our president-elect.

I feel sorry for Sarah Palin. A once promising career will be permanently connected to the landside loss of John McCain.

I weep for my children and their families."


Others aren't taking it that well even. They're looking for someone or something at whom they can lash out. Before the election that someone is not going to be John McCain, his advisers or Sarah Palin. After the election some will, inevitably, turn on McCain and his advisers and maybe even a few on Palin (expect very few if any). So for the time being, McCain/Palin will blame the media and the crowds will, in turn, take their frustrations out on the media. They are becoming increasingly hostile, and, in my opinion, will turn violent unless some sense is talked into them by McCain or Palin.

The oft-asked question as McCain changes his strategy to full-time negativity is "Will it help him?" For the first time this election cycle I watched the debate on CNN. As I've stated before, I'm a poll junkie. Those little lines at the bottom of the CNN screen do for me what Sarah Palin does for Rich Lowry.

I learned something from those lines last night. The "Uncommitted Ohio Voters (TM)" didn't like it when McCain attacked. The lines dropped like rocks when he attacked Obama. They also dropped when Obama attacked McCain.

Going forward McCain's team plans to attack Obama over and over for the next 4 weeks. It's going to kill him in the end. This election cycle, undecided voters don't want to hear how bad your opponent is. They want to hear how you will respond to the MAJOR issues facing our country and rightfully so. They don't want to hear that your opponent is dangerous so you should elect me.

For the first time in several election cycles I'm regaining my faith in the American electorate. Not because Obama is leading and is likely to be our next President, but because the voters are looking at candidates' positions on real issues and aren't being swayed by fear tactics.

No comments: